Snowshoeing can be dangerous and you must prepare in advance by dressing for the elements and bringing the right gear in case of an emergency. You must remember that you are going outdoors in a cold
environment and whenever there is cold, there is always a chance of hypothermia. When you take your first step on your snowshoes, you should always ask the same question to yourself. "Do I have enough food and protection to stay overnight if I injure myself?" You never know what is going to happen on a bright, sunny, calm day. It's better to carry a little extra and be safe. When I am done for the day, I always replace anything I've used for that day in my fanny pack. That way, whenever I snowshoe again, I always know that I have the necessary gear in my fanny pack.
What Supplies To Bring:
1) First Aid Kit: I use a small zip lock bag for my first aid kit as the bag keeps everything inside dry. These are some of the items that I carry. You may add or delete some items based on your needs. The kit takes up very little space in my fanny pack and I rarely ever use the first aid kit. It is always there if I ever need it. Most of the items were bought at a discount store that sells trial samples. They come in their own individual small packs.
- Pain reliever pills
- Multiple size Band-Aids
- Sewing Kit (The kind you get in your hotel room.)
- Gauze for bruises
- Antiseptic cream
- Moleskin in case of blisters
- Cotton balls
- Tissue pack
- Anti-bacterial creme
- Pre-moistened towelette
- Insect bite ointment
- Tongue depressor for splint
- Duct tape
3) Flashlight or headlamp
5) Map and compass
8) High energy bars
9) Trail mix
12) Dry matches
13) Nylon cord
14) Small pair of binoculars
15) Small space blanket (double one)
16) GPS (optional)
17) Cell phone (optional)
18) Extra clothing (indicated in the next section)
Always be prepared by deciding on what to bring snowshoeing before you start your hike for the day.
My Outdoor Eyes Photography Blog|
Trail To Wellfleet Harbor Beach On Cape Cod.
Any of the trails to the beaches here on Cape Cod are pretty amazing. This trail leads out to one of the beaches on Wellfleet Harbor. So pretty, even in winter. You can even see Jeremy Point in the distance. Have you ever seen the beaches on Wellfleet Harbor?
Cliff Pond In Nickerson State Park On Cape Cod Was Spectacular!
We hiked out around Cliff Pond the other day and the views were unbelievable. If you stood one way, you got the first photograph. If you turned around, you got the 2nd one. (Click on blog link to see other photo.) Both are pretty spectacular, don’t you think? Great place to take photographs!
Yellow-Rumped Warbler At Our Feeder On Cape Cod.
I saw a splash of bright yellow at our feeder and quickly got my camera. I have learned that it is better to get my camera first and get my binoculars second, as the bird might fly away quickly. (Click on blog link to see other photo.) There, at my feeder, was a beautiful Yellow-rumped … Continue reading Yellow-Rumped Warbler At Our Feeder On Cape Cod.