It makes absolutely no sense to purchase an expensive PFD if you don't know how to keep
your PFD safe. Take care of your PFD and your PFD will take care of you. The following are some helpful hints and tips to help you maintain your PFD.
- If you try to alter a PFD, the warrantee will not be valid. PFD's are manufactured to specifications for optimal safety. Adding hooks, pockets, etc. will hinder the PFD performance and might lead to a disaster.
- Don't leave a PFD in direct sunlight for long periods of time. Do not dry the PFD in the sun. The heat and the sun will weaken the PFD.
- Don't dry a PFD using a dryer, a heater, a radiator or any other heat source.
- Always rinse a PFD in fresh water after use and especially if the PFD has been in salt water.
- Never leave a PFD in a damp place with no air circulation. Never leave a damp PFD in a plastic sealed bag. Also store a PFD in a well ventilated area.
- Always make sure that all snaps, hooks, pockets, tightening latches work properly. Always make sure there are no tears in the fabric.
- Always jump in the water about twice a year to make sure you float wearing the PFD.
- Always unload the pockets, take the knife off, etc. when washing the PFD.
- Always spray the PFD with a UV protectant spray at least two or three times a year.
- Don't leave the PFD at the bottom of a heavy pile of kayaking gear as the foam will lose buoyancy.
- Always hang the PFD on a wide hanger to drip dry after washing.
- Make sure the PFD has no mildew.
- Realize that all PFD's will deteriorate over time and all will need replacing. Just realize when it is time to replace a PFD as this is the most important kayaking gear.
Have fun paddling and don't forget to take care of your PFD when you return from your paddle.
My Outdoor Eyes Photography Blog|
The Piping Plovers Are Back On Coast Guard Beach On Cape Cod!
Yesterday was a gorgeous day so we took an early morning walk on Coast Guard Beach. It was just beautiful. Just as we were about to reach the newly posted signs about the nesting Piping Plovers, I saw something scurry from the water up onto the beach. There it was… our first Piping Plover of … Continue reading The Piping Plovers Are Back On Coast Guard Beach On Cape Cod!
Coast Guard Beach On Cape Cod Was Spectacular Yesterday!
Yesterday was a gorgeous day so we decided to have a picnic in the car at Nauset Light Beach and then go to Coast Guard Beach for a little walk. It was just gorgeous. We walked partway down the beach but the tide was coming in and we didn’t want to get stuck on the … Continue reading Coast Guard Beach On Cape Cod Was Spectacular Yesterday!
The Marconi Beach Stairs In Wellfleet On Cape Cod Made It Through The Winter!
The stairs at Marconi Beach in Wellfleet on Cape Cod made it through the winter intact! It’s always a question at the beginning of winter… will the stairs at the Cape Cod beaches make it through the winter? As you can see, these are pretty substantial steps! And a beautiful view in the distance. Have … Continue reading The Marconi Beach Stairs In Wellfleet On Cape Cod Made It Through The Winter!