Sometimes the sky does not cooperate when a great photograph opportunity comes by. Using the technique described below will add a vibrant blue sky to your photograph.
How To Apply A Blue Sky To A Section Of Your Photograph
Note: This technique assumes that there are already clouds in your photograph.
1. Open the file. Choose File --> Open --> Enter the image name to be fixed.
2. Make a luminosity selection by holding the Ctl and Alt key down and clicking the ~ key (located in the top left section of the keyboard under the Esc Key).
3. Make a duplicate copy of the image by either (Ctl+J) or Choose Layer --> New --> Layer Via Copy.
4. Select the new layer (Figure 1 A).
5. Set the new layer's mode Blending Option to COLOR BURN (Figure 1 B) (or MULTIPLY for a less intense effect).
6. Adjust the layer Opacity to suit your taste looking at the sky only (Figure 1 C).
7. Add a LAYER MASK to the new layer by clicking on the the LAYER MASK icon at the bottom of the layers palette (Figure 1 D).
8. With the LAYER MASK still active (Figure 2 A), choose a large soft edged brush (150) set to REDUCED FLOW (25%). Adjust the brush settings to what is needed for your particular situation. Set the color to black and paint slowly over the clouds and the all the areas on the rest of the photograph that are not to be darkened. Change the color to white to correct any area that needs to be darkened again.
9. When you are satisfied with the finished image, save the file.
My Outdoor Eyes Photography Blog|
Nauset Beach On Cape Cod, Looking South Toward Chatham.
When you look at the views on Nauset Beach, they are so different looking north and looking south. This photograph, looking south toward Chatham, was a cloudy day but you could see the the sun peeking out from just above the horizon. Pretty don’t you think?
Higgins Pond In Nickerson State Park On Cape Cod Was Gorgeous!
We decided to take a hike after breakfast the other day as the weather was supposed to turn with wind, rain and a bit of snow in the forecast. (Click on blog link to see other photos.) We had never hiked the Higgins Pond Loop Trail at Nickerson State Park, so we headed out. What … Continue reading Higgins Pond In Nickerson State Park On Cape Cod Was Gorgeous!
The AllTrails App Has Great New Feature For Hiking On Cape Cod Or Anywhere.
We downloaded one of the hikes at Nickerson State Park and started out the other day. We were only into the hike a couple of minutes when we heard a beep on the phone app. There was an alert that we had gone “off-route.” What a wonderful addition to the AllTrails app. You can leave … Continue reading The AllTrails App Has Great New Feature For Hiking On Cape Cod Or Anywhere.