The following is a list of gear that should be taken on all day paddles in order to minimize the risk of any accidents occurring:
Don't forget to always leave a paddling itinerary with someone and always paddle with another person.
- PFD - personal floatation device
- Spray skirt
- Bilge pump
- Spare paddle
- Tow line
- First aid kit with personal medicine and space blanket
- Marine VHF radio
- Cell Phone
- Tide Charts (or at least know the tide schedule)
- Weather radio
- Day/night distress signal (flares, mirror, whistle, blinking lights, etc.)
- Spare set of dry clothes
- Safety knife
- Paddle float
- Glass holder to keep glasses from falling off
- Repair kit (including pliers, nuts, bolts, tape, etc.)
- Paddle leash
- Food, high energy bars and snack
- Lip sunscreen, balm
- Dry Bags
- Paddling Jacket
- Spare eyeglasses
- Pogies or neoprene gloves (depending on the weather)
- Wetsuit, drysuit (depending on the weather)
- Neoprene hood (depending on the weather)
- Fleece top & pants (depending on the weather)
- Fleece cap (depending on the weather)
- Neoprene boots
- All overnight camping equipment (see hiking & backpacking section)
My Outdoor Eyes Photography Blog|
If You're On Cape Cod, Look For The Hydrangeas!
Hydrangeas seem to be “the” Cape Cod flower. They grow beautifully here and are certainly abundant! When we were building our home a few years ago, the two staples that I wanted for our “Cape Cod garden” were Hydrangeas and Daisies. Depending on the acidity in the soil, they can be shades of blue or … Continue reading If You’re On Cape Cod, Look For The Hydrangeas!
Great Blue Heron At Boat Meadow Creek On Cape Cod.
We were driving home the other night when I saw this beautiful Great Blue Heron out of the corner of my eye. He was standing on the banks of the salt marsh looking for dinner. I quickly drove home and got my camera. Luckily, he was still there a few minutes later. The Great Blue … Continue reading Great Blue Heron At Boat Meadow Creek On Cape Cod.
Sunfish Waiting For The Tide To Come In At Wellfleet Harbor On Cape Cod.
This Sunfish is ready and waiting for the tide to come in a bit so it can go for a sail at Wellfleet Harbor. I loved the vibrant colors of the sail against the deep blue water and the interesting cloud formations in the sky. What do you think?