I Met Jake Burton When He Just Started

Discussion group on Snowboarding & Back Country Skiing techniques, gear, how to and stories. Post Snowboarding & Back Country Skiing photographs.
PT
Site Admin
Site Admin

I Met Jake Burton When He Just Started

Post by PT »

burtonboard.jpg
burtonboard.jpg (54.1 KiB) Viewed 556 times

In 1977, I was walking through Londonderry Vermont. It was a misty, cold, damp, overcast day and it wasn't a good day for skiing. We had been skiing Magic Mountain for many years and sometimes you just took a day off when the conditions weren't exactly appealing. I came across this very small shop and I was curious to see what was inside. I opened the door and inside was Jake Burton.

Jake had a few barrels of water, some rubber, some wood and also I saw some blanks that looked like surfboards. Since I had surfed for many years, I asked him what he was making making. He said he was making a "Snowboard" and this is going to change the whole skiing industry. I said "How?" He said it was going to be like surfing on the snow. Since I loved to surf and I loved to ski, I said "I'll take one."

And... the rest is history.

I called Jake up when I was going to move to Colorado and I asked him if he would like the snowboard as it was one of his first snowboards. He said "Yes". But unfortunately I didn't get a chance to deliver the snowboard to him before I moved to Colorado. When I moved back to the East Coast, I had planned to give him another phone call. But tragically, he past away a few years ago.
Photography & Outdoor Adventure Articles:
Outdoor Eyes

Discovering New Music One Note At A Time:
752.2 Hit Maker Radio
James
1st Tier Forum Contributor

Re: I Met Jake Burton When He Just Started

Post by James »

Thanks for the story. As an avid snowboarder, this was a great story that probably only a very few people ever experienced before Jake Burton became very successful.
In my next life, I am going to come back as a real photographer. :D
Mick

Post by Mick »

I agree that it is a historical story. Too bad you didn't get to meet him again after all those years. It would have been great to relive that story with him.
Keep trying... and then keep trying. You'll eventually get it right.
Outdoors

Post by Outdoors »

Agreed with everyone else. Great story and great that you have the snowboard. Just pass it on so it remains in the family. :D
Lovin' and livin' to photograph the great outdoors.