Snowshoeing can be dangerous and you must prepare in advance by dressing for the elements and bringing the right gear in case of an emergency. You must remember that you are going outdoors in a cold
environment and whenever there is cold, there is always a chance of hypothermia. When you take your first step on your snowshoes, you should always ask the same question to yourself. "Do I have enough food and protection to stay overnight if I injure myself?" You never know what is going to happen on a bright, sunny, calm day. It's better to carry a little extra and be safe. When I am done for the day, I always replace anything I've used for that day in my fanny pack. That way, whenever I snowshoe again, I always know that I have the necessary gear in my fanny pack.
What Supplies To Bring:
1) First Aid Kit: I use a small zip lock bag for my first aid kit as the bag keeps everything inside dry. These are some of the items that I carry. You may add or delete some items based on your needs. The kit takes up very little space in my fanny pack and I rarely ever use the first aid kit. It is always there if I ever need it. Most of the items were bought at a discount store that sells trial samples. They come in their own individual small packs.
- Pain reliever pills
- Multiple size Band-Aids
- Sewing Kit (The kind you get in your hotel room.)
- Gauze for bruises
- Antiseptic cream
- Moleskin in case of blisters
- Cotton balls
- Tissue pack
- Anti-bacterial creme
- Pre-moistened towelette
- Insect bite ointment
- Tongue depressor for splint
- Duct tape
3) Flashlight or headlamp
5) Map and compass
8) High energy bars
9) Trail mix
12) Dry matches
13) Nylon cord
14) Small pair of binoculars
15) Small space blanket (double one)
16) GPS (optional)
17) Cell phone (optional)
18) Extra clothing (indicated in the next section)
Always be prepared by deciding on what to bring snowshoeing before you start your hike for the day.
My Outdoor Eyes Photography Blog|
Coast Guard Beach On Cape Cod Is Always Spectacular!
I love walking on Coast Guard Beach is Eastham on Cape Cod. It goes for miles and miles and is just pristine. You can see why it was voted #6 in the country. There has been a bit of erosion along the beach as you can see the high water mark quite distinctly with the … Continue reading Coast Guard Beach On Cape Cod Is Always Spectacular!
Gorgeous Sunset At Boat Meadow On Cape Cod
The other night was a glorious sunset at Boat Meadow beach in Eastham on Cape Cod. It looked like the clouds were going to roll in, but at the last minute the sun poked through to make a gorgeous sunset. Sunsets on Cape Cod Bay are always beautiful and a peaceful way to end the … Continue reading Gorgeous Sunset At Boat Meadow On Cape Cod
Pretty Blue Chicory Wildflowers At Fort Hill On Cape Cod
Bright blue Chicory wildflowers are blooming all over Fort Hill on Cape Cod. Their intense blue color makes them easy to spot on the sides of the trails or in the fields. Chicory grows on a stiff stalk and has numerous 1 and 1/2″ stemless flower heads with fringed petals. These bloom for only one … Continue reading Pretty Blue Chicory Wildflowers At Fort Hill On Cape Cod